Whilst working at a PR agency, I was responsible for social media posts across Twitter and Facebook for a leading manufacturing client. The purpose of this social media strategy was to raise the client’s online status by promoting a national competition for UK plumbers. The main objective of the campaign was to receive as many entries into this particular competition, of which the client were the main sponsor. Here is evidence of this work, and a summary of it is below.

To ensure that the social media strategy was effective and met objectives I strategically planned the social media strategy. I identified key stages of the competition to ensure that information was relevant and effective throughout each stage of the social media strategy, therefore encouraging engagement from target audiences by posting the correct type of content at the correct time. The aim of this approach was to best influence the target audience, and so, result in generating desired impact from the campaign – motivating people to enter the competition.

For this client I planned, scheduled (using the online software, Tweet Deck) and posted daily Twitter and Facebook posts. At each stage of the social media strategy there was a slight variation in my approach, ensuring that posts were suited to the brand and the audience, plus relevant to particular parts of the strategy timeline. Initially posts were informative (including information about the prize, the judging criteria and the sponsors of the competition) to raise awareness of the competition and create excitement leading up to the opening of the competition. Once the competition was open I aimed to humanise the campaign by injecting humour into some posts (using images encouraged re-tweets, encouraging circulation of the campaign). I also created conversation by responding to topical posts from other people (including influencers) on twitter. I established this by searching #plumber, and engaging with relevant people to draw attention to the official account of the UK plumbing competition.

To ensure that the Tweets reached the relevant people, I used a media list to tag influential bloggers and individuals in the trade, plumbing and construction businesses and also relevant trade media. In order to generate desired action (competition entries), I consistently made information accessible by providing the ‘competition entry link’ at the end of Twitter posts. Plus I consistently used the same hashtags: #POTY2016 #plumbing #plumber to ensure that key messages were circulated. With regards to the daily Facebook posts, I ensured that it combined the main messages of the three Twitter posts that I posted each day. This was to ensure that ‘information unity’ was achieved across social media platforms, keeping audiences interested in consistent messages.

For a public sector client (NHS) I planned Tweets and Facebook posts on an organised Microsoft Excel document, ensuring that posts followed a strategic plan for the #BeAHero campaign. I then scheduled the Tweets, ensuring posts with particular information were published at the best time to reach target audiences, using the online software called Sprout Social. Throughout the campaign the content of the social media posts changed slightly – initially they were very factual, statistical and informative to raise awareness to Yorkshire people about the issues surrounding the lack of registered organ donors. Content was then developed to reach influencers across Yorkshire, tagging local influencers including local MP’s, official partners and celebrities from the region. The aim of using this technique was to motivate the general public from Yorkshire communities to sign the donor register. To ensure content was powerful and engaging,  I continuously used the same hashtags – #BeAHero #Yorkshire #donor.

For an overview of my portfolio, click here.